St Ives is welded to the history of English studio pottery, since Bernard Leach set up his workshop here in 1920.
Together with his friend Shoji Hamada, they built the Leach Pottery which became the training ground for aspiring potters from England and abroad.
These in turn went out to educate a public locked in the beliefs and standards of industrial ceramics. All those working in studio ceramics now, owe much to the strength and persistance that Leach showed.
His zeal gave us all the opportunity to work in a craft that has such an appealing lifestyle. John Bedding built the Gaolyard to, in some small measure add to the legacy of potters working in St Ives.